Monday, July 04, 2005

Interview: Carry On



The following interview was conducted with Todd Jones over the weekend, after Carry On played two final West Coast shows, three years after their break up. In his early 20's, Todd has left quite a mark on the scene with bands like Carry On, Terror, and most recently, Betrayed and Snake Eyes. He also currently plays guitar in Internal Affairs. It's a rare thing in this scene when someone goes on to be an integral part of so many great hardcore bands. As a matter of fact, it's usually par for the course that most hardcore musicians get bored after a few years and move on to post hardcoredom. Todd has been the welcome exception, becoming one of hardcore's finest guitar players.


It's stated that the shows this weekend were not to be a reunion -- they were to be official "last shows" for a band that never got to really got to say a proper goodbye. What was the reason for Carry On's abrupt break up back in December of 2001?

It was all a build up between Ryan and I. Ryan was changing as a person at the time and didn't really put any effort into showing up for practice. He had a new girlfriend. He just wasn't interested in the band anymore. We played a show at the Troubador in Los Angeles with Converge, American Nightmare, and The Hope Conspiracy. When we got there, we found out the promoter had no idea we were playing the show. Stuff like that always happened to us. Anyway, we got to jump on the show at play 5 or 6 songs. We played 5 songs and our drummer botched a song real bad and that got me in a bad mood. It wasn't really his fault though because we were supposed to practice but Ryan called and said he wasn't coming so I got pissed and cancelled practice. Anyway, before the show Ryan told me he was moving to San Francisco and I was like "well what the fuck, why are we doing this then" and on top of that, he wasn't straight edge anymore. So basically after that show I told our bass player that that was it. And that's pretty much it. I pretty much hated Ryan at that point. You know, he pretty much ruined the band. But whatever.

How long was there anger between members of the band before you got to the point of talking to each other again and arranged for a proper send off for the band? Who ended up breaking the ice?

The only person I was angry towards was Ryan. I didn't speak to him for about 3 years. I was at a XCHORUSX show at the Showcase Theatre Summer of 2004 and Ryan walked up to me and said hello. I guess that's pretty much it. After that Ryan and I kept in touch randomly. In February 2005 Corey mentioned to me "I wish Ryan wasn't such a fuck up and we could've had a last show", and I responded with "we can if we want". That's pretty much it.

Now that a few years have passed since the break up of Carry On, when you look back on it, are there any lessons you learned from the experience?

Yeah. Maybe not directly related to my experience with Carry On but definitely applied to it - don't be so angry, don't hate so much. When you hate someone, it hurts you more than it hurts the person you hate. I've definitely learned to be a little bit more understanding when people change. I've learned you can't put so much faith in one person, and you shouldn't rely on someone so much.

How did the shows go this weekend?

Words can't describe how well they went. We all needed this closure in our lives. Thanks to the people who showed up and supported us at these shows. It really does mean a lot to us.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home