Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hardcore Handles: DII (The Second Dave on the Job)



I just realized the other night that eleven years ago this month, I met Dave Sadowski for the first time. For those of you who are not familiar with the name Dave Sadowski, fans of my band Rain on the Parade knew him simply as "DII." Even though DII couldn't play many out of state shows with us, he was a huge, often unseen part of the band. He is on every record, and he was always a large part of the writing process for what would become over 50 songs that made it onto two-inch tape.

I met DII through a friend named Brendan Gallagher, who was doing a band with me at the time, tentatively named "Glue." Brendan played drums, our friend Alan played guitar, I played the other guitar, and Brendan's friend from work, "DII," was brought in to play bass. His name was DII because at the time there were two Daves at the plant where Brendan and DII worked. Since DII was the 2nd Dave on the job, it was agreed amongst his coworkers at this place that, rather than being burdened with the task of going through "Dave. Which Dave? Dave Sadowski," Dave's name would be forever abbreviated to "DII," because you know, uttering a few extra syllabels can be absolutely exhausting.

I will never forget the first time I saw DII walk down the steps into Brendan's basement. He had a mullet with a mustache and beard. He was wearing a flannel shirt with a five color Mentors shirt beneath it. He brought with him a cream colored guitar that had a purple color burst pick guard, a jet black metal head looking bass, and a mini cooler of Pabst Blue Ribbon pounders. I honestly didn't know what to make of the guy in those first few seconds, but after talking to him for all of about a minute, I realized I was going to like him.

I came to the realization that I have known Dave for eleven years now when I was at my Network Plus class the other night. The class took a break for 15 minutes, so I went out into the hallway and did what I have always done over the past eleven years whenever it's time to hit a vending machine:

Step One: feed dollar bill into the machine

Step Two: without looking at the contents of what's in the machine, hit the keys "D" and "2"

Step Three: eat whatever fate drops into the pan for me.

I've been practicing this hardcore food ritual for eleven years now. I can think of only once that I've been disappointed with my yield. It was a Mounds Almond Joy.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home