Monday, August 29, 2005

Mailbag

Thanks for stickin' up for me, Ronny!

Isn't it all so silly? I mean, don't these bored, bourgeois, would-be-artists, thwarted in their dreams by lack of talent, creativity and vision have anything more substantive to write about? Was my betrayal of the punk credo more profound than The Clash, Stooges, Buzzcocks, et al licensing their songs to multi-national corporations for ad campaigns? Believe it or not, I'm old enough to remember The Clash being called sell-outs when they released Sandinista, because no one "got it" aesthetically (apart from "Police On My Back").

At the end of the day, all of the seminal punk bands were on major labels, and Alternative Press is not a not-for-profit organization that donates all proceeds to starving punk orphans in the former Soviet States. I could give a fuck what those (truly) lily-white, pretentious pseudo-journalists have to say about me. How about this, AP: You can't be cool and have an area called "The Mosh Pit" on your web site at the same time.

I distanced myself, a long time ago, from those who fancied themselves as non-conformists, yet comprised a "scene" that demanded more conformity than the mainstream (read the lyrics to "Not Like You", which I wrote in 1984).

Thanks again, Ronny.

Love,
Richie Birkenhead

----------

Ronny,

FYI -- The music editor at Alternative Press is named Jonah Bayer.

Hugs and kisses,

Trevor Kelley
New York, NY



Trevor,

I am indeed aware that Johan Bayer is the music editor over at AP. I'm still trying to figure out that one, too.


----------

Dear Ronny,

Here's an alternative to stupid straight edge tough guys and skinny weiners that act like them:

http://www.myspace.com/xhugsxnotxthugsx

Adam Kirby


Everyone needs to check out this site. There's already a comment from that exTYRANTex band that says "I would like to stab you." Ha.

----------

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home