Monday, September 05, 2005

Quick Notes

* A few weeks ago I wrangled with the XBring Back ProhibitionX and Seventh Dagger crowd publicly on this site, as well as on their own message board. If you haven't gotten the chance to check out the Seventh Dagger message board yet, you really need to. It's a hoot.

Anyway, I've been reading the Seventh Dagger message board here and there, and the kids on that board are being annihilated on a daily basis by a coalition of straight edge and non-straight edge kids who aren't spilling the XBBPX hate-filled Kool Aid all over themselves. Watching volley after volley go back and forth is like watching the Jerry Springer show on a message board. The message board insurgents are definitely the studio audience there to witness the spectacle, while the Seventh Dagger dudes -- struggling with the English language and coherent rational thought -- are clearly the trailer trash guests out for a night in the big city and their 15 minutes of fame. It's awesome.

The funny thing is, these clowns wanted a war, but it doesn't seem like they were expecting to be dealing with an insurgency on their own message board. It's gotten so bad that as soon as the guy who runs the site gets back from tour, he's going configure the site to require usernames and passwords. Ha! Guess who that war? So, if you're one of the message board insurgents, or you want to get in on the action, you better do it soon before they build their Berlin Wall.

By the way, the latest blog on their message board is a laugher. They freely acknowlxedgex that straight edge really is indeed a gang. Check it out here.



*I've heard it through the grapevine that Jamie Aurthurs, the promoter of the St. Andrews church venue, was a little bummed by what he felt was one-sided coverage of the Fuse Is Lit show I covered in the first installment of Dancefloor Diaries. It was not my intent to be biased, nor do I have any feelings about the incident or the politics surrounding the show. While I do live in the Washington DC area, I'm really not a part of the scene here. I've been a Philly fish out of water in DC for the past 5 years now. Ask anybody here about me, and most will probably say "Ronny who?" I'm not kidding.

When I initially came up with the idea for Dancefloor Diaries, I posted on a couple of message boards, asking for kids to contact me if they were at the show. I was really just interested in the events of the night, and not necessarily the subtext, partly because I wasn't fully aware the amount of scene politics involved. I got three responses, all of them giving the accounts that I published, one of them painting Jamie in a negative light. Dave Byrd also painted Jamie with a messy brush when I interviewed him about the show in Fuck You Fanzine (issue 6, volume III), which I included in the Dancefloor Diaries account of the show because it was relevant to the story. A few other DC kids had unkind words for Jamie Authurs in the comments section, but one reader did stand up for him.

Basically, I put the word out there that I wanted to hear about the show, and I published what came back to me, and then others piled on in the comments section. I wasn't really thinking "fair and balanced" because the way I saw it, I just wanted the story behind the show the same way I once wanted the story behind the Shutdown show at CBGB's. I wasn't trying to slant the story in any direction, although it did end up that way.

Since the feature did end up decidedly one-sided, in the interest of fairness I'm extending an invitation to Jamie Aurthurs, or anyone who worked on this show with him, to write in and give their account of the incident as well as the consequences that resulted from all of the fireworks that went on that evening (figurativly and literally). Just remember that the opinions left in the comments section are not necessarily the opinions of the management.


*I'm looking to add a few contributors to the site to keep things rolling on a Monday through Friday schedule of new content. If you're interested in becoming a part of BBHC, please get in touch with me at bareboneshc@hotmail.com and I'll tell you what I have in mind.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home