Friday, December 16, 2005

Dancefloor Diaries


Memories provided by Release guitarist, Chris Zusi.
"I think we took 3 cars packed with equipment from South Jersey up to the show (in retrospect, I live about 50 min East on Rt 78 from Bethleham, why I drove 1.5 hours to South Jersey to drive 3 hours up to Wally's I'll never know). On the way up to the show, somewhere in Pennsylvania, Cap's 1982 Camaro just died - I think the transmission might have fallen out or something stupid like that. What could we do? We needed to get to the show so we piled all of the stuff/people from his car into the other cars and left his car for dead on the side of the road."

"Wally's was a cool place, I think I went there 3 or 4 times. Wally's and Oliver J's were the two Pennsylvania venues that had shows on par with CB's, City Gardens, and the Anthrax, so it was a cool alternative. I don't ever remember there being any drama at Wally's. I remember some (skinhead) sketchiness at Oliver J's, but never Walley's."

"I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Turning Point jumped on the show and played 4-5 songs. Release opened the show and the NY bands were late, so to kill time TP played some songs using our equipment - they played as a 4 piece, I think Nick wasn't there so Jay played bass."

"This was right around the time that the Turning Point demo came out. I remember they were excited that the demo was out and gave us copies. We got along great with those guys and ended up playing quite a few shows together over the years."

"The flyer was drawn by Cris Cap, the drummer for Release. Cap was always drawing cartoon crowd scenes, hooded SxE dudes, dudes with POS tops. He was a great artist (he's actually a tattooist now). Cap also drew the hooded figures on the Release shirts, don't think he did any other artwork for bands."

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home