Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hardcore Archeology -- Jon Stewart

I came from kind of a dysfunctional family when I was growing up. Songs like DRI's Mad Man, Reagan Youth's What Will The Neighbors Think, and Angry Samoan's My Old Man's a Fatso were my anthems. Because of that, I spent as little time at home as possible. In the years since, I have come to love my family; but as a 16 year-old, I had a passionate loathing for all at 29 Birchwood Circle.

I know, I know. It's a total punk rock cliche, but when I was growing up, I was so disconnected from my family that Hardcore was my surrogate clan. In those years, the place where I hung my hardcore hat was at a club in a run-down portion of Trenton on Calhoun Street called City Gardens. I truly considered the place home, and spent as much time as possible there, soaking in all of the bands that made their way through the place.

Many years later, as I began to bump into other dudes who also haunted City Gardens, people started asking me "did you ever hear that Jon Stewart used to bartend at City Gardens?" It was news to me. I remembered dude bartenders at City Gardens, but I couldn't place a face to any of them so many years after the fact (although, I do remember the faces of many of the overzealous bouncers).

For the past few years, it's kind of been this mystery that old City Gardens kids have wondered about, straining their memories, trying to recall if someone looking like Jon Stewart ever handed them a Solo cup filled with tap water for a dollar while making George W. Bush faces.

Since to my knowledge, Jon Stewart has never been in a hardcore band, I don't suppose this is truly Hardcore Archeology, but the following clip is proof positive that, yes City Garden's heads, Jon Stewart did work the bar at City Gardens while you were being tossed out the side doors of the club for stage diving to Agnostic Front.



(If the video hangs while loading, click on the image again and it will take you to You Tube, where it will automatically begin playing)

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home